Doff and Doffer

The word doff means “to take off.” In conventional textiles it meant to take bob-bins off a spinning frame. The person who did that was called a “doffer.” In nonwovens the word can mean to take fiber off a roll or to take a roll of cloth off a winder. The most common use of the word is for the rolls that take fiber off the main cylinder of a card. These rolls are called doffers. Cards have one or two doffers. The doffers turn much more slowly than the main cylinder and the fiber piles up on the teeth of the doffer roll. The relationship of the doffer to the main cylinder is one of combing rather than one of carding. Doffer rolls usually have wire with long teeth to hold a lot of fiber. These teeth may be serrated or have special shapes to enhance the ability of the tooth to hold fiber. Fiber comes around the bottom of a doffer. In the picture you can see two doffers, with fiber hanging on the top doffer.


You might also like...

    Post a Comment